[vdr] Re: recommended ATX/MATX case??

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Guido Fiala wrote:

>Of course - if you like to use a P4 (80Watts) one will need a large cooler,
>for a P3 (30W) it's much easier. I'am thinking of using a 11dB Papst-fan
>(60mm), which is probably unhearable against the hard-disk (28dB),
>unfortunately every hard disk manufacturer uses a different scale to measure
>the noise - and even then they get other numbers then e.g. the ct'magazin did.
>So one has to have a hearing-test oneself to go for sure.

11dB should be about the volume you get out in outer space... And all fans
react differently when actually mounted to something. I've seen very quiet
fans start to vibrate just because they were attached to something.

>Some Via-CPU's need no fan at all (as does with my P2-450 here also), for the
>Via-Nehemiah (wich is just as fast) exist also some home-made fanless coolers.

An Epia-800 can also run fanless. By default I think they come with fans,
but at least mine has been solid as a rock for a year with just a
heatsink.

--
Somewhere around the place I've got an unfinished short story about
Schroedinger's Dog; it was mostly moaning about all the attention the cat