[vdr] Re: recommended ATX/MATX case??

Hi all,

Jan Ekholm wrote:
Some Via-CPU's need no fan at all (as does with my P2-450 here also), for the
Via-Nehemiah (wich is just as fast) exist also some home-made fanless coolers.

An Epia-800 can also run fanless. By default I think they come with fans,
but at least mine has been solid as a rock for a year with just a
heatsink.
I've been tinkering with different kinds of "Silent" products over the last three years and I've too come to the conclusion that the only really "silent" computer is one without any moving part whatsoever, i.e., no fans and no hard drive. Even without moving parts a modern PC is not sound-less as the switch reagulator circuits used in the PSUs (even the fanless ones) can make a rather irritating squeel as their switching frequency can be rather low.

I suggest using Via Nehemiah or C3 processors or other CPUs dissipating a maximum of 12W. It is rather straightforward to cool theses passively.

I further suggest to boot these using network-boot from a centralized server which, of course, is not silent but can be made rather quiet. An alternative is to use a combination of compact flashes and network filesystems. Keep in mind, however, that the flash cards are rather expensive. More noisy alternatives are laptop disks and Seagate Barracuda V's. A Barracuda enclosed in a SilentDrive is a good solution for a desktop machine which do not need to be dead quiet.

Finally, I would choose a case which is sturdy, and roomy. Avoid plastic cases. I haven't tried aluminium cases although some claim these to be better than ordinary cases. Be prepared to drill a lot of airholes and plan the layout of the case carefully as to not blocking hot air to move out of the case. I haven't tried this but I recon that a desktop case with lots of air holes drilles in the top lid a la hi-fi amplifier would be a good candidate for a silent VDR box.

While we are at the topic: Do anyone know if someone in europe sells the PW60/70(-A) cheaper than EPIA-Power (http://www.epia-power.ch/)?

Best regards
Sven