[vdr] Re: dxr3 decoder vs software decoder..

On Thursday 18 September 2003 12:45, Joe Schmoe wrote:

> Another thing to consider would be that dxr3's can't properly do those
> 14:9 broadcasts as I have had to find out a while back...

That's true - the BBC (at least) uses an extension to the DVB standard to
describe a 4:3 picture within a 16:9 frame... and when displayed on the Dxr3,
it ends up as a small picture in the centre of the screen, with thick black
letterboxing on all four sides (!) ...

Hardly surprising since the Dxr3 was designed many years ago and intended only
ever to play MPEG2 files from a DVD....

Cheers,
Gavin.