[vdr] Re: best distribution for vdr?

Hi,

Dieter Poesl schrieb:
Hi Juri,

Juri Haberland wrote:

Lars Oeschey schrieb:

Hi,

since I had quite some problems getting a full vdr system running under
Suse, I'd like to know which distribution is best for vdr? I want a full
Linux, not just a vdr-distribution like the c't debian since I use the
machine as workstation too...

If you have some experience with Linux I'd recommend Gentoo Linux.

I'm also using Gentoo for my VDR. And it's really fine. But do you really believe that someone who has Problems with Suse is able to get VDR running on a Gentoo-Machine?

On the other hand Gentoo is really good for Multimedia-Machines. Because it's based on Source-Code and youre able to compile the system optimized for the hardware.

Regards
Dieter
i would suggest mandrake, for 2 reasons:

1. it is quite complete in regards to multimedia and software
   updates (urpmi works like apt-get)
2. it has more flexible , more generic admin tools, including
   a single-stop command center for all admin tasks (hardware, software, config)

Regards Onno