[vdr] Re: VDR-distros should collaborate ...

Hi

Ok - First i want to say that i'm one of the developers of Mulimidix and
I don't think it's a bad idea to exchange information, knowledge and
even some parts of our three distributions.
Firday Mirco Doelle from linvdr did a great presantation at university
duesseldorf and talked about this topic for some time.
But beside this, each
of the three distribution has its own destination and its not easy to
get them together.
ct wanted a bootable vdr linux and i thought about this idea a long time
myself.For different reasons i preferred to do some other things before.
A bootable disk is easy to use, for sure, but a installed standalone
linux
has many advantages as well. Our major goal was to create the basic for
a fully updateable vdr linux, where you  don't have to patch build
installation.
The second point i want to mention is, that both ctvdr and linvdr wanted
to cover vdr. Mulimidix instead is a Multimedia distribution, that
should provide a lot of additional features additionally.

Making debian packages is not the problem. Making packages for a
distribution is only a small thing, when you start to make your own
linux. We had long discussions about this topic. This is why we did our
own distro and didn't used suse, debian, knoppix or another distro and
stripped them. Out view of the thing is, that there is NO REAL
Multimedia distribution. Mulimidix 0.1 was a first case study.

Beside all this, think that all three disros should exchange knowledge,
as it might help us all and would like to hear all kind of ideas.

With best reagrds

Michael Mielewczik