[vdr] Re: VDR-distros should collaborate ...

Thomas Koch wrote:
Am Montag, 29.09.03, um 14:14 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Carsten Koch:

I think they cover different scopes: The LinVDR distro seems to be designed
for minimum size, so maybe it will make sense on a diskless machine that
boots from a flash disk or a USB stick. Very nice, but way too complicated
for the average Windows user who just wants to try VDR out.

LinVDR understands itself as a complete solution. Of course, i can get a normal Distribution and install all the necessary things to get VDR running, but this takes much time and you have to know much things about VDR and Linux.

LinVDR is "ready to use". Just install the Distribution and use it.

Now take your own opinion whats the "way to complicated" solution.

I was referring to the "diskless machine that boots from a flash disk or a USB stick"
when I implied that might be too complicated for the average Windows User.

I had not intention whatsoever to imply that LinVDR is less easy to
use than ctvdr. I have no experience with either.

From the sizes (50 MB LinVDR, 200MB ctvdr) and the fact that ctvdr is
very easy to extend to a full debian installation, I concluded that
LinVDR emphasis is on minimum size and on being self-contained,
while ctvdr may have the idea in mind that such a distro could also
get Joe average Windows user started on Linux.

So, no offense at all meant.

Carsten.