[vdr] Re: bitstreamout-0.48pre3

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:33:44PM +0100, Christian Tramnitz wrote:
> I tried this once and my Receiver (Kenwood KRF-X9060D) seems to work
> with it.
> Unfortunately at that time the alsa driver for cmipci was broken and
> spdif in -> spdif out wasnt working, I guess I'll give it a try again.
>
> Can you maybe explain what that bandwidth limitation could mean in real
> world? Is this enough for an AC3 stream? What about DTS (e.g. when using
> the dvd-plugin)?

The bandwidth is not a limitation it is simply the required frequency
for the S/P-DIF transport protocol.  And this 6MHz are also required
for normal PCM in stereo mode and AC3 or DTS transported within a
PCM frame marked as none audio data with special magic words and with
the status bit for none audio data within the S/P-DIF data protocol.

And please remember that video uses frequencies upto 6MHz.
Clearly any unshielded cable will cause cross/speak over of the
signals ... you `see' PCM and you `hear' video ;^)

     Werner