[vdr] Re: Suggestions for tv output?

Hi,

˙so-8859-1?B?SORt5GzkaW5lbiBKb3Jp?˙jori.hamalainen@teliasonera.com> wrote:

Sorry if I sound like a total ass by saying this, but should it not be the hardware, which does the resizing to the video stream?
There are numerous references that state that hardware upscaling on most
cards is implemented badly. So with software upscaling you can have much
better quality.
Well, my Matrox G550 does a good job at up-scaling when used with xine's vidix driver. The resulting image looks better than with xine's xv driver and software scaler, although xv should use the hardware scaler too.

The only problem is, that the G550 seems to support scaling only for source images <= 1024x1024. Does anybody know a card, that can do 2048x2048?

I've tried a G650, but neither vidix nor xv are currently available for it.

And on the same time you can implement noise reduction (deblocking) and
deinterlacing to image. With beamers you easily see if image is interlaced.
For example HIM in Tavastia house concert was very bad without deinterlacing
(camera flashes flashing with panning camera movement).

SW resize Method:
Stream from DVB-x -> demux -> decode -> resize -> encode to MPEG-2 (does xine take unencoded video in?) -> xine -> decode -> fbxine?
That's wrong, see below.

In my mind in the chain there is no need to recode the stream. Xine
can do the resizing and possible filtering (deblock & deinterlace),
at least mplayer does those internally.

Chain might be something like this(??):

DVB -> xine-plugin -> xine (demux, decode, resize, filter) -> framebuffer
DVB -> VDR (TS->PES) -> xine-plugin -> (fb)xine (demux, decode, resize, filter) -> framebuffer.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de