[vdr] Re: Feature request - time shift

Yes I believe that's exactly what he means. Realistically pressing pause is not a viable solution most of the time. Having said that this feature could be implemented easily by automatically triggering a pause right after you switch to a new channel and stop recording when you switch again. This does not give you all the features of the STB's but it goes a long way towards giving you the most important aspects of the feature.

This has certain consequences, one of which would be vastly increased wear on the hard disk. Theoretically it should be possible to set up some sort of buffer which resides entirely in memory (and I know plenty of people who would be willing to spend the money on a gig or two of extra ram if it gave them such a feature without major wear on the hdd).

I don't know how much affect this extra wear would have on the hdd but it doesn't take much imagination to expect vastly decreased life (for the hdd ;P ).

Personally I would LOVE such a feature. I am constantly finding myself wishing I could rewind something that has already started though how often this happens to be on the currently tuned channel I don't know. Perhaps a feature to set the channel/channels to always record into a ring-buffer would be nice (i.e. there are really only two channels on which I ever expect that I may miss something). I also frequently forget to start a recording until AFTER the program I wanted to record begins. It almost makes me thing we need a neural network plugin to control which is the best channel to record at any given time into such a buffer :) i.e. never record a channel which is already being recorded by a timer, etc

Having said that the more options are open to advanced users the better. Very few people who maintain a VDR system would consider adding such features to be a bad thing.

Regards,
Michal

P.S. Sorry for the rant like nature of the post. I really want such a feature but I really can't say how useful I would find it until I had the chance to try it in practice :)