[vdr] Re: OT: SkyStar 2, Rev. 2.6c

Hi,

Axel Gruber wrote:

What about IRQ Sharing ?
The IRQ for the SkyStar 2 was shared. I intended to mount it in a slot with unshared IRQ, but that one is currently blocked by a cable that connectes my externel power supply fan control circuit with motherboard and power supply.

How many PCI-Slots do you have ?
Three.

If you have more - try to change the CARDS in different Slots.
I'll try that soon.

Here i use a System with 6 PCI-Slots and 4 CARDīs - only one
Combination works well all other combinations (different slots produces
system hangups or one of the 4 CARDS donīt work correct.
Please tell me the brand of your cards.

A Other Problem here is the Cooling.

I lost 3 CARDS some month ago because of overheating.
How did you realize, that the cards were defective?

Currently, my Nova-S shows a strange behaviour again: within the first 30 minutes after powering on my "cold" VDR PC, there are that many uncorrectable errors on any vertical transponder, that watching TV or recording anything makes no sense. Horizontal transponders work properly from start. While the system "heates up", one can see the images improving and after 30 minutes everything is fine again.

I already thought about sending the card in for repair (I've bought it last September), but I only had this issue for one week in late November and yesterday evening. I can't tell any news for today, because the machine was up since yesterday to take a recording this morning (still haven't tried the plugin that programs the RTC for starting the PC just before a recording).

Now i use 2 Fanīs for cooling them down one for blowing and the other one put the Heat out of the case on the top of the CARDīs.
Well, in my desktop PC case, the slot area is near the left side of the case, and close to the slots there follows a fan at the rear side, that blows out hot air from this area.

The case temperature sensor is currently located above the center of the case, just below the case cover. I'll try to move it to the slot area, to see whether there is a higher temperature.

Since i have installed the 2 Fanīs and a "Leitblech" VDR works much mor stabil
and near all Recordings works fine.
I've also constructed an "air tunnel" that feeds cold air from the outside to the cpu fan. This construction had a great impact on keeping everything a lot cooler, and therefore, all fans typically run at minimum speed when watching TV (I'm using the vdr-xine plugin).

I think that the MultiPID Recording and the Timeshift-Function produces more Heat within the CARD-Processor.
Shure. It's really a mess, when all those "fat" cards are that near together, with no empty slot between them.

I'm sorry, in case this writing is considered OT.

Does anybody have such a card (at least one, maybe two, maybe in
combination
with one Nova-S) working?

I've tried that card in combination with a Nova-S for about a week now and
it
basically works with the CVS dvb-kernel drivers (either 2.4.22
respectively
2.6.1). But within that test period I had at least on system lookup per
day.

The problem came with inserting the card and vanished after removing the
card
again. I don't think that it is due to a temperature issue, as it was
working
flawlessly with a board temperature of 47 °C and a case temperature of 37
°C
while there were lookups at 40 °C respectively 31 °C.
Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de