[vdr] Re: Recording and watching encypted channels

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is it normal and designed behaviour that a CAM can only decrypt one
>> channel at a given time? So it is not possible to record one encrypted
>> channel and watch another one at the same time? I can understand this
>> limitation, it seems pretty logical.
>>
>> However, could one request a little feature for VDR that would warn the
>> user that this is the case and that a recording will fail if the user zaps
>> to other encrypted channels while doing a recording? I did this a few days
>> ago, and VDR happily let me zap to any other encrypted after the recording
>> had been started, thus ruining the recording. Maybe some mechanism that
>> says that "the CAM is now locked, no other encrypted channels available"
>> would solve the problem? Or are there deeper issues that I have no idea
>> about?
>
>I would expect that you _can't_ switch to an encrypted channel while
>there is a recording going on that uses that card.
>
>Which version of VDR are you using?
>What patches/plugins?

VDR 1.3.3. It was the first timer we had on an encrypted channel, so I sat
and watched the actual channel until I saw that the recording started.
After that I switched away from the channel, as I wanted to watch the show
later with my wife. VDR did not protest in any way, and I happily zapped
on other encrypted channels. At the end of the recorded show I switched
back to it as saw the last 30s + the ending credits so that I could
manually stop the timer at the right time (another timer was about to
start on a totally different channel).

When we watched the recording I say the first few seconds that I saw
before switching away, then a flash of garbage and then VDR skipped to the
last 30s + ending credits. So during the time I was zapping on other
channels nothing got recorded.

No extra patches, dvb-2003-11-08, the MP3 plugin and two own plugins that
do not interfere in any way.

Maybe it is possible to switch between encrypted channels on the same
frequency/multiplex? I only zapped on channels on that one frequency,
never entering any FTA channels.

--
    Pets are always a great help in times of stress. And in times of
    starvation too, o'course.