[vdr] Re: final solution to the signalless operationproblemfound!! -> testers+RFC required

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 21:22, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Andreas Oberritter wrote:
> > Yes, of course. My patch addressed the undefined state before opening
> > the device. VDR must not open the device if it should stay powered down.
> > open() calls FE_INIT and therefore wakes up the VES1893.

> I don't see why VDR should be the culprit here.
> What's wrong with opening the frontend and not actually using it?
> Shouldn't the driver (or whoever is responsible) be stable enough
> to handle this?

There is no need to power up the frontend when it is not in use. This
might save some cents on your electricity bill and reduce your
computer's heat. Being not in use is defined as being not opened by an
application which is VDR in this case.

If the touchy ARM receives data while the frontend is powered down (i.e.
closed) then this is a problem which can and should probably be solved
by changing some bits in the driver.

> Of course we can add an option that makes VDR not open the frontend
> in case the user knows that there is no antenna cable connected - but
> that still leaves the case where the signal gets lost for other reasons.
> And then what happens if the user forgets to set that option?
>
> After all, your computer doesn't crash just because a program opens
> a file and then doesn't read from it... ;-)

I agree with you that it is a workaround for the strange behavior of the
AV711x, but it has other benefits mentioned above.

To my knowledge frontendN behaves different than e.g. ~/.bashrc in the
fact that the latter is not involved in power management.

Regards,
Andreas