[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] Sharemarks Project 0.1

Hello Clemens

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 18:51, Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:
> Peter Sebbel <peter@vdr-portal.de> wrote:
> > The main challenge for the moment is to get enough participants, so
> > that the whole thing can really take off. I hope we can convince
> > people to upload their marks automatically after cutting, then the
> > database on the web server will be filled quickly.
>
> i think the most important thing to get to this point is to integrate
> the mark sharing flawlessly into vdr (via plugin).

Well, I can not really see the advantage of a plugin in this case. I agree
that it should be tightly integrated, but the VDR offers nice hooks for this
kind of add-on.

> when i start cutting
> a movie it should try to get the marks from the server (or it should
> allready have read them) transparently.

You can automate the download via a cronjob or something, we are currently
discussing this for release 0.2 (also an offline solution).

> if there are no marks it should
> say something like "no shared marks, cut manually?" and if i do so
> upload the marks without further user interaction.

Well, if there are no marks you have to set them manually, no matter how you
integrate the add-on. Just press "ok" after selecting a recording, and you
know whether you got marks.
After cutting the marks are stored on the server without any user interaction
(if you configure the skript to act like that). So that is pretty close to
your suggestion.

> another drawback of the current solution is the perl dependency - for me
> this is a real showstopper. :(
Sorry about this, but since Perl is the only language I know, it is likely to
be Perl.

Cheers

Peter