[vdr] Re: OT: RGB Component from J2

Hi Mika,

> Pin 4 in J2 is for the SPDIF output 4, is it possible to use that for
> routing sound via
> motherboards SPDIF output to my amplifier? (Connecting J2 pins 4 and 10
> to motherboard pins 4 and 1)

> I have in my NVidia motherboard following spdif pins.
>
>     pin 1 ground
>     pin 2 none
>     pin 3 ground
>     pin 4 s/pdif in
>     pin 5 +5v
>     pin 6 s/pdif out

Yes, you can as long as your board supports TTL SP/DIF,
which it should. You want to use pin 6 as the output to
your amp? Can your amp handle TTL SP/DIF? Otherwise
(and to avoid ground loops) you could use an TOTX and
an optical input on the amp. Review the archives as I have
posted a How-To artical on this.

The question which creeps up is why do you want to do
that? You'r gonna need to install Linux drivers for the
Nvidia chipset and get the SP/DIF to work. Since Lirc
and the remote plugin can't control the muting via alsa
etc I see no real point in doing this.

SPDIF can't be muted via VDR (unless you use the TBE
Extension board) because when doing a "mute" all VDR
does is set the volume to zero (and rememebers the old
volume value to unmute). Since you can't set a digital
volume this doesn't work. Ergo muting via digital out
via VDR can't (and doesn't ;o)) work.

Of course, all of you playing with the J2 should be aware
that you are directly fooling around with the AV711x!
(which means being careful or use my protection PCB
(see vdrportal) or running Thomas Breuer's extension
board also on vdrportal ;o))

Greets,
Reinhard

---