[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.2.1 plugin

Hi,

Jouni Karvo wrote:

> Currently, there are no logging entries. Please change those lines as following:
> > if (0x00 != (0x3f & buf[ 7 ]))
> {
> fprintf(stderr, "buf[ 7 ]: 0x%02x\n", buf[ 7 ]);
> VERBOSE_RETURN(false);
> }

OK. Here it is: (naturally the logging command changed the line
numbers)
SetPlayMode: 1
Clear
Mute
TrickSpeed: 6
buf[ 7 ]: 0xc1
FIXME: xineDevice.c:364
This bit means, that the PES packet contains an extension header. As xine doesn't analyze it's contents, I can silently ignore it.

After commenting out the VERBOSE_RETURN, the FF and REW seem to work,
albeit not perfectly.  (no more crashing...)

The FF and REW still have the problem that they seem to be slower than
the actual playing of the record (but just give out still frames every
few seconds).
For fast forward/rewind, VDR only sends I-frames to the output device. The first fast speed issues a "Trickspeed: 6" which means, that each frame shall be displayed 6 times a long as specified in the frame.

Higher fast speeds require much more CPU power to decode and display each I-frame. If your PC is not fast enough, xine reports lots of "throwing away image" messages. As a result, you might only get an image per second. Am I right, that CPU load is at 100 % at that time?

Additionally; if the progress bar is visible, xine gives out
repeatedly the error:

video_overlay:No spare subtitle event slots
For me, this only happens when playing a recording in slow motion. It seems, that VDR updates the OSD very often. Each change results in a xine overlay event, which is stored in a fixed length (50) queue. The events are later taken out of this queue and blended into the video frames.

Currently, I don't know, how many events are processed per frame respectively how many events VDR generates per frame. At least it seems that there are too many, as the queue runs full.

Maybe it's due to the lack of checking the update region of VDR's OSD. It might well be, that there is an update notification, that actually would result in no update, but just filling the event queue.

BTW: In slow rewind mode, xine currently only outputs I-frames. I haven't investigated this issue any further, yet.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de