[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

Quoting Stefaan Coddé <stefaan.codde@pandora.be>:
> > The main reason why I was thinking about booting the system from a
> CF-memory
> > was that it would be more fail proof. The file system would not get messed
> > up when switching off the machine with the power-button..
> >
> Choose a jouranling file type as ReiserFS or EXT3 , it is crash proof.
> Well, there are limits but a sudden power failure is no problem for a
> jopuranling type file system.

Are these suitable for flash cards? IMHO such a project is not completed.

<OT>
Warning:
A journalling filesystems suffers often simply from application design:
If your application deletes a file on disk and after that writing the new file
(e.g. configuration file) and between these 2 atomic transaction the power fails
it's perfectly in spec that the original-file is lost.

Not sure how vdr and it's plugins perform here, but i had such problems with
kde-config files.

Journalling-FS can also be "rolled back" if the logs are still available but
i'am not sure if that is what one wants in such a situation - i want my file
there a reboot time - so better have a look at such (regularly rewritten) files.
</OT>