[vdr] Re: Some hardware-questions

Hi Rene,

> I was first thinking about mounting swap into ram,
Sounds weird. ;)

> If I manage to boot from a CF-card, then I could just mount the
> whole system into RAM...
Why?

> Is by the way the 5400 rpm drive fast enough for recording and wathing
> simultaneously?
Yes. I did 3 parallel recordings while watching another flawlessly.
Any recent harddrive should be fast enough do to the job. Just take
care that you turned on a proper DMA-Mode.

> The main reason why I was thinking about booting the system from a CF-memory
> was that it would be more fail proof. The file system would not get messed
> up when switching off the machine with the power-button..
Just go for a journaling filesystem. That should do the job either. If
you like you can mount your system-partition(s) readonly for extra
safety.
If your filesystem goes nuts it doesn't matter on what kind of medium it
resides.

Regards,
  Roland