[vdr] Re: aspect ratio

Axel Beier wrote:
> Hello,
> i had recorded a movie from arte. In the first two or three seconds i
> see a 16:9 logo. Now i am wondering because tcprobe and project-x tells
> me an aspect ratio of 4:3.
> Where is my misunderstanding or what could be wrong ?

Lots of transmissions which are announced as 16:9 are in fact
transmitted as 4:3 with the black bars included in the pictures.

ARD and ZDF do it right most of the time, arte does it wrong.

It's a pity because you give up 144 lines for the black bars and lose
the pan/scan display on 4:3 screens which I prefer over black bars.

Wolfgang