[vdr] Re: remux.c: splitting PES packets into 2048 byte blocks

Hi,

Dr. Werner Fink wrote:

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 12:04:56AM +0200, Reinhard Nissl wrote:

what's the reason for splitting PES packets into smaller ones with 2048 (= IPACKS) bytes?

I have a problem with that, when I want to replay dolby audio (AC3) with xine. xine's demuxer currently expects the AC3 data to be supplied in one big block (the original PES packet, as it was transmitted in the TS).
The remuxer does NOT refill any of the AC3 data from the original
TS stream into some other PES packet format.
The format of the PES packet within the TS stream depends on the station
(ZDF, Pro7, Sat.1) ... this what I've found out for the bitstreamout
plugin.
I cannot confirm this. In my investigations, I've written the filtered TS (just before assembling the PES packets) to a file. Looking at the file showed me, that the broadcasted PES packets have a length field of e. g. 0x2308 for ZDF.

With IPACKS == 2048, this results in 4 Packets of total size 2048 + a shorter one. IPACKS == (0xffff + 6) fives me just a single packet.

Anyway, I don't want to blame VDR. It should be possible for xine to determine the real size of AC3 data by looking at the AC3 header. That way, it should be possible to handle those "continueation" packets.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de