[vdr] Re: AC3 audio handling

Am Dienstag, 4. Mai 2004 12:34 schrieb Johannes Schoeller:

> > I have the same receiver and experience the same problem. But obviously
> > DD works if one chooses one of the Cinema Sound Fileds. Without this
> > sound program my receiver doesn't play the center channel.

> please don't mix up "dd ac3 5.1" with dsp programs that the receiver uses.
> they are able to make some kind of "surround" sound out of a normal stereo
> signal. these programs use all available speakers and modify the audio
> signal to make a better sound experience.
>
> you only get REAL 5.1 sound if this nice blue lamp on the receiver lits up
> and the display shows DD. otherwise it's only "upgraded" pcm sound you
> hear.

Maybe, but what does the receiver do, if I send the AC3 stream? Without the
DSP program, I don't hear the center channel, on the other channels no voice
is hearable at all...

With the normal PCM sound, the PCM 48kBit is shown in the receiver's display,
with the AC3 stream, no [L] and [R] is visible, so it is indeed an AC3
stream, and the amp has to do some decoding, otherwise I wouldn't hear
anything but noise, would I?

Sven

--
Sven Fischer -- Moitzfeld 47, 51429 Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
                Tel./Fax: +49-(0)2204-480985