[vdr] Re: [vdr][solved] Re: sound clicks and block artefacts - softwareor hardware problem?

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
siegfried.haas@gmx.net(Siegfried Haas)  15.05.04 21:08

Once upon a time "Siegfried Haas " shaped the electrons to say...

Hello from Neumünster/Germany,

since about 8 months my vdr-box works well - since now!

Hardware: 	Siemens scenic 600 desktop-PC with 500Mhz Pentium
celeron (used, don't know, how old)
		80 GB Maxtor (new)
		dvb-Card 1.3 (full featured, new)
Software: 	SuSE 8.2
		vdr1.2.5

Since a few days every now and then, sometimes from the start of the
PC on, sometimes after a few minutes and sometimes not, block
artefacts and sound clicks appear, get worse until sometimes the whole
thing gets restarted by runvdr.
Sometimes the box freeces and I have to use "power off" to restart.

Did anyone face similar problems?

Yepp. It sounds like your antenna signal is slightly too small.

I have to add an extra amplifier and to use DVB-cards without "LNB thru".

How can I check, if it is a software or hardware problem?

Go onto your roof and check if your dish setting is still correct.
(Using a "sat-finder" or wet dish(tea) towel covering the half dish
so it will be less sensitive and missallignments will be obvious.)
We had a storm with hail some days ago...

Rainer
Thank you for the hint!

Indeed there were leaves from a bush around the lnb! And the wind moved them in between the dish and the lnb every now and then, especially when we had strong winds the last days.

"make clean" with a tool not included in common linux distributions (www.gardena.de) did the job!

Siegfried