[vdr] Re: sound clicks and block artefacts - software or hardware problem?

siegfried.haas@gmx.net(Siegfried Haas)  15.05.04 21:08

Once upon a time "Siegfried Haas " shaped the electrons to say...

>Hello from Neumünster/Germany,

>since about 8 months my vdr-box works well - since now!

>Hardware: 	Siemens scenic 600 desktop-PC with 500Mhz Pentium
>celeron (used, don't know, how old)
>		80 GB Maxtor (new)
>		dvb-Card 1.3 (full featured, new)
>Software: 	SuSE 8.2
>		vdr1.2.5

>Since a few days every now and then, sometimes from the start of the
>PC on, sometimes after a few minutes and sometimes not, block
>artefacts and sound clicks appear, get worse until sometimes the whole
>thing gets restarted by runvdr.
>Sometimes the box freeces and I have to use "power off" to restart.

>Did anyone face similar problems?

Yepp. It sounds like your antenna signal is slightly too small.

I have to add an extra amplifier and to use DVB-cards
without "LNB thru".

>How can I check, if it is a software or hardware problem?

Go onto your roof and check if your dish setting is still correct.
(Using a "sat-finder" or wet dish(tea) towel covering the half dish
so it will be less sensitive and missallignments will be obvious.)
We had a storm with hail some days ago...

Rainer