[vdr] Re: partly OT: english VDR-Discussion Board?

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Hannes Stein wrote:

>Hi,
>
>as there were discussions on this list about links of Patches / Plugins
>to the mostly german speaking vdr-portal.de, there is a thread and poll
>about the neccesarity (<= does this word exist?!?) of an english board
>at the VDR-Portal.
>
>I think none of the users of the vdr-portal dared to cross-post this so
>far, as they might be afraid to get flamed about ading for this
>board...
>
>Nevertheless it's the english-speaking VDR community (which might be
>here) that should take part at this discussion...

Well, I don't follow any of the discussions on VDR-Portal, it just feels
(apart from the language barrier) like something that's not really an
"official part" of VDR. Personally I don't think an English board there
would be too successful, this list is a good source of information in
English. It takes a lot of people and postings to bootstrap a new forum,
especially one in a "foreign" environment.It's a bit like trying to use
English on the #LinuxDVB IRC channel (on EFNet), everything is always in
German, which is probably a reason why no non-German speaking users hang
out there. :)

However, there is an enormous amount of good information on VDR-Portal, I
had great use of the information regarding the J2 connector on the
Hauppauge boards when I made my own S-Video connector. I thank those that
have taken the time to put the info there.

--
           "Right, you bastards, you're... you're geography"
                                         -- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Home | Main Index | Thread Index