[vdr] Re: kvdr-0.61 and xv?

On Saturday 05 June 2004 09:02, Gregoire Favre wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 08:38:04AM +0200, Guido Fiala wrote:
> > Sorry - my fault. Actually i didn't, just my local version had this.
>
> OK :-)
>
> > Did you try xvsetattr to change some value of the xv? Maybe some
> > parameters (brightness, contrast etc.) are tuned wrong?
>
> xvsetattr what's that?

ups, its just called xvattr, set brightness contrast, background color ... and
kills some XServers ;-)

> > Screenshots for comparison would be helpful.
>
> No it won't : the picture are the same, just the transition are
> different.

Transitions? You mean the frame2frame transition aka deinterlacing?

> > That makes absolutely no sense to me - Xv is Xv is Xv - i do not make
> > anything

I just meant the software side.

> You could be wrong here, just have a look at tvtime pages
> http://tvtime.sourceforge.net/problems.html#radeon-performance I have
> also had this when I try a radeon with xawtv

I add for i815: despite that the xvinfo tells me i can have 1440x1050 pixel
xvimage at maximum i can not use anything higher than 600x500 pixels or so.

> > different than xawtv beside the extra memcpy()+XSync() in 50Hz mode and
> > that i just sleep in the loop (xawtv has a thread that is nice'd). I
> > might try to select() to reduce cpu-load more but thats all that can be
> > done.
>
> I am not at 50Hz, could be the problem, but I really don't like 50Hz...

You have only 3 options here: whether you live with the interlacing artifacts
or you use a a (cpu-intensive) software-deinterlacer which does basically
nothing more than smoothing out or you use progressive scan ("50Hz")

Or one can simply wait unless no interlaced material is broadcasted anymore
which could be soon if analog equiment is dying out.

I still wonder how interlaced material can be compressed at 25 fps at all -
wont this produce horrible much difference between consecutive frames in the
sense of MPEG compression?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index