[vdr] Re: vdr integration into Freevo

On 08/07/2004, at 1:38 AM, Rob Shortt wrote:

I don't think the OSD for the full featured cards is capable of displaying menus and graphics like the Freevo skins, memory isues and such. It might be possible to emulate how the dxr3 sdl output driver works by converting everything into mpeg and then sending that to the card.

Being a full featured card owner myself, I don't, and would rather not even use the tv-out on this card. I am perfectly happy with using DirectFB on my G400 and IMO it is more flexible, especially for Freevo because we spawn more programs than for just watching tv, none of which support tv-out on ff dvb cards.

-Rob

Being a budget card owner who first spent $200 to get a Matrox G550 with SCART RGB out only to be EXTREMELY dissatisfied with it's performance in general (and ESPECIALLY under Linux) I take some exception to your attempt to steer Dirk away from utilizing the TV out on the full featured cards.

I went to the effort of spending well over $300 to have a full featured DVB-S card shipped in from Germany for the sole purpose of acting as a TV out device (with support for SCART RGB). The image quality was vastly superior to the G550 even if using SVideo for output.

The Matrox may be more flexible but it's also totally useless because watching TV with constant visual glitches due to sync issues is unacceptable. As a side issue many people also require hardware MPEG decoding as it's the only way for them to create a system which is quiet enough to be a HTPC. CPU decoding or encoding isn't really much of an option.

Anyway. That's my 2 cents worth. Or over $500 depending on how you read it.

Regards,
Michal

Home | Main Index | Thread Index