[vdr] Re: [ANNOUNCE] vdr-xine-0.4.3 plugin

Hi,

Jouni Karvo wrote:

> > When the plugin is started, it unmutes PCM which leads to IEC958 being
> > muted (and as the result there is no sound).
> > I'm sorry, I cannot see any change since version 0.4.1 that should do anything > like that.

> Which version was working for your before?

I used 0.4.0 with the patch you gave in this mailing list.
I had a look into xine-0.4.0/xineLib.c:1197 and there the volume is set, when a client connects. So I don't understand, how this version was ever working for your setup.

> What happend in that version, if you where changing the volume with VDR commands?
> What happend, when you replayed a recording and switched to trickspeed mode?

I have never changed volume in VDR since I use the AV-receiver for all
audio.
So there should have been no volume set by VDR besides the one when it starts, but as xine is not connected to VDR at that time, this volume change shouldn't matter.

Trickspeed mode worked and still works ok.
I don't understand that. When replaying a recording (especially when entering/leaving trick speed mode) there will typically be some CLEAR calls by VDR. Looking into xine-0.4.0/input-plugin/input_vdr.c:418 where the volume is restored to the saved value, I would expect that a CLEAR should trigger your problem too, but it doesn't.

Maybe, this instruction doesn't do anything, when the volume is set to the current volume level, as I forgot to change the volume to 0 after saving the original value.

> When in all those cases the sound was ok, then I really don't see, why it > should be broken now. Should there have been a change in xine that broke it?

I don't know.
You would have to patch your xine source, which you used for 0.4.3, with 0.4.0. If you don't see this issue, running a current xine and vdr-xine-0.4.0, then it really should be a matter of vdr-xine-0.4.3. If you experience the same behaviour now also for vdr-xine-0.4.0, then it's a xine issue.

If I play something using xine without vdr, it does not change any
mixer controls.
Shure, 'cause changing the mixer controls should usually be done on user request.

As VDR sets the volume on startup to the value when it was last exitted, I also do set the volume to the volume, which was last set by VDR, when a client connects.

To proof, that SetVolume is triggering the problem, would you please omit line 1335 of current xineLib.c. Then it should nolonger restore the volume on client connect.

And to proof, that the CLEAR should trigger your problem, when correctly implemented, please add the following line after line 414 in current input_vdr.c:

xine_set_param(this->stream, XINE_PARAM_AUDIO_VOLUME, 0);

Speaking of a solution:
Currently, I'd suggest that I add a config option to Makefile, as I don't see the need to make it configureable in vdr-xine's setup menu. What do you think about that?

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl@gmx.de