[vdr] Re: Which analog card for analog-plugin

Hello Patrick

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:13:02 +0200, Patrick Maier wrote:
> Do I need a Hardware MPEG2 encoder on that TV Card?
> Is the "WinTV-Go2" sufficient (without MPEG2
> encoder)(http://213.221.87.83/prod_go.htm)
> or do I need the "WinTV-PVR250" (with MPEG2
> encoder)(http://213.221.87.83/prod_pvr250.htm)

Short answer: go for the PVR250.

Long answer:
I tried a normal WinTV PCI on an Athlon running 1250 MHz. While CPU
load for the software MPEG2 encoding was OK, the results produced via
vdr and AnalogTV were not good. I tried all software encoders, some
did work a little, but I never had a picture for more than 30 seconds.
I gave up after a few weeks struggling. YMMV

I went for the PVR250 and got it to work almost straight away. Hence I
totally recommend that. Again: YMMV

PS: I was using Suse 9.0 + manual vdr + manual analogTV installation.
Here are the pointers to the documentation I used - sorry English
folks, this is German only -
http://home.t-online.de/home/hubertus.sandmann/vdr.htm
http://www.koneczny.info/Linux/VDR/PVR.html
I am yet to get the AnalogTV/PVR250 working as part of the ct-vdr 206
distribution. But I only tried once for 10 minutes ... will pick that
up again very soon.

Kai

Home | Main Index | Thread Index