[vdr] Re: VDR commits ritual suicide on HD signal to FF card

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the great work with VDR.

Such a solution may be the best solution. But is it going to happen? If not then curing the symptoms is the only thing that can be done in the meantime.

I don't automatically add channels in my system so that particular problem wouldn't affect me. The workaround to the problem could further be improved by channels which are added automatically being marked as potentially HD.

At any rate it could be done so that a single config option (ie HD incompatible output device = yes) could set these behaviors such that the workaround was robust.

The problem is real and the best solution seems unlikely given that the firmware isn't opensource. How could this be done in the firmware anyway? What exactly can the decoder on a FF card handle? Can it do 720x576p (defined as HD in Australia) ?

I don't know what the actuall limitations are, and whether possibly adding more RAM to the card would enhance its decoding capabilities (ie reducing all HD to 720x567i). If so then I would even be interested in that money pit given that there don't seem to be any other real solutions to TV out :/

Regards,
Michal Dobrzynski