[vdr] Re: DXR3

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 23:12, Tony Houghton wrote:
> In <1099495070.27777.74.camel@laser2.york.ac.uk>, Laurence Abbott wrote:
> > Ahhh yes. I forgot about that: you need a small patch for the plugin to
> > compile with vdr-1.3.13 and later...
>
> Is that supposed to be for 0.2.2 or 0.2.3-pre2? It doesn't actually work
> with either of them (even with line 21 spliced back together). Luckily
> it's quite simple to make the changes manually, especially if you don't
> have to bother supporting older VDRs.
>
> I think there might be a problem with the 0.2.3-pre2 tarball from
> Sourceforge (I tried several mirrors). It's infested with ^M characters.
> I removed them but it didn't help the patch. Might there be other
> corruptions in it upsetting the patch? It compiles OK though.

Oh yes...forgot that too! That tarball has DOS line-endings in the
files, i.e. CR+LF vs just LF for unix endings, and the DOS endings show
up as ^M in things like vi or other applications hide them and display
"DOS mode" or similar. You probably have something like 'dos2unix' or
'fromdos' installed which can be used to strip the extra characters,
changing the line endings. Once you've done that, the patch applies
cleanly (Confused me for a while that one, too!).

> A few minutes later... It works after all! I think the main problem was
> that as well as em8300 and adv717x, I needed to load a module called
> bt865 which is undocumented. And my remote is still working after all
> too, that problem was because the plugin was still for VDR 1.3.14
> instead of .15. I'm sure I apt-get install'ed them all together; Darren,
> did you upload the remote plugin sometime after the other packages?

>From memory, the dxr3 / Hollywood Plus cards have an em8300 chip and
then either a bt865 (mine has) or an adv717x chip. This is mentioned at
http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/ but it isn't that obvious. Bizarrely, mine
is labelled as a Creative dxr3 but lspci shows it as Sigma Designs
Hollywood Plus!

Cheers,

Laz

Home | Main Index | Thread Index