[vdr] Re: How to play HDTV files ?

On Tuesday 09 November 2004 20.32, Gregoire Favre wrote:
>I could imagine changing my GFX card, I seen that some nvidia has
>onboard mpeg2 encode/decode up to 1920x1080i BUT they certainly miss a
>linux driver for it ???
>It would be perfect to have it use the hardware of such a card :-)

Well, xvmc uses much help from the nvidia card, definately helps out when you
want to show 1920x1080 material. Having said that, if you disable the tvtime
postprocessing, you should be able to run 1920x1080 without xvmc. I do it
without any problem on my htpc, which carries a 2.6GHz P4 onto a 5700Ultra.
But there's not too much headroom using xv. Yes the htpc is optimised for
just that (gentoo) but it runs 1920x1080 ts material flawless.

I have not tried this with live streams though, but I have a lot of hdtv
material on my server, including some from euro1080.

A lot of things can be said about nvidia, but their xvmc support is quite good
imho. And I have tried a lot of graphics cards for my htpc. Some people finds
the cheaper fx5200 cards a bit washed out on colours, but it all boils down
to what kind of output device you have. ymmv.

>> >Well, with my amd64@3000 I can't see it without reducing it to 50%

>> Same here on my P4 2.8 GHz HT. I hope to see any gain when xine-lib's mpeg
>> decoder will decode with multiple threads.

You guys must miss out on something! I would be *very* surprised if a amd64
3000 would not do this easily! I bet you have too much post processing
enabled! Remove it, you shoudn't really need it with hd material anyways.
Or you must have graphics card from stone age/with bad drivers.

  - Micael (aka hd-freak:)

Home | Main Index | Thread Index