[vdr] Re: bitstreamout vs. AC3overDVB

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 08:34:05AM +0100, hm@seneca.muc.de wrote:
> Dr. Werner Fink <werner@suse.de> wrote:
> > > >
> > > Do you still need an extra s/pdif sound card for bitstreamout or can it
> > > meanwhile be used without an extra card?
> > > Do I always need alsa for bitstreamout?
>
> > Hmmm ... how should ``AC3 loop through sound card'' work without
> > a sound card?  I'm using the plugin _and_ J2 connected to the
>
> I think he is asking if he needs to loop AC3 through a soundcard. At least
> with bitstreamout-0.61b which I am using now this is not necessary. I use
> it with a VIA Epia5000 board that has only an SPDIF out. Works fine,
> basically, but I see AV delays between 100 and 300 ms. Werner, what can be
> the reason for this? It is annoying if you tend to look at peoples' lips
> when they speak ... Is that a software problem? I don't think it's my AV
> receiver (Universum DVD home cinema part) because when watching DVDs on the
> receiver directly, AV sync is perfect.

Sound card or sound chip ... the bitstreamout plugin requires an
interface for writing the data read from an TS stream of the DVB card.

For your timing problem: please try out 0.61f and report even if
it fix your problem.  Just that I know that this fix the problem.

Btw: Do you have included the PlayAudio() function into the mp3
plugin as I mentioned a few weeks ago ;^)

        Werner

--
AC3 loop through sound card http://bitstreamout.sourceforge.net/
Howto http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?threadid=1958