[vdr] Re: Which card support XxMC and only take one slot ? (for HDTV)

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 11:05:56PM +0100, Micael Beronius wrote:

> OK, did not get that part with the G550. It was a long time since I used a
> Matrox card now. What I can confirm is that I have no problems what so ever
> to play 1920x1080 material without xvmc on a P4/2.6GHz, using xv that is.
> Granted, with xvmc CPU usage goes down. But your CPU is much more powerful
> than my P4.

Well, with xv I can play non-HDTV mpeg2 with very few CPU usage, but
without :-(

> Thing is that the noise is normally too small to be seen on a regular monitor,
> so you can more or less (I would) disregard the noise part altoghether on
> something like a 21" monitor.

By noise, I mean the noise from the fan on the gfx card, I have read
ASUS one are really bad for that, and as my computer is very quiet, so I
don't want to buy a noisy gfx card...

> Well, with the fast pace that ATI and Nvidia are putting out new chip models,
> there's really no time for the different manufacturers to design their own
> boards, and it would make their profit less, so normally they all use
> ATI/Nvidias reference design, which they get for free.
> The difference are their component choise, such as capacitors, where there are
> some difference.
> If you look closely on their product pictures, you will see that the main
> difference between the same kind of cards (5700Ultras for instance) is the
> heat sink/fan which are designed in various ways.

OK, thank you very much for the info :-)
So my choice will be for the quietest, I'll ask the vendor then.

> In my HTPC, I have a Leadtek WinFast A360 Ultra TDH, which I like, but there
> are similar boards from other manufacturers.

Great, then, Leadtek could be a good choice for me also then (but a
lower model...).

> Not necessary, but by choosing a better known brand such as Asus, Leadtek etc
> you may perhaps have a lesser risk of getting the really cheap components.

For there are no better know brand, my usual vendor has always been of
good advice, so I will follow it another time :-)

Thank you very much for your answer and happy VDR !!!
--
	Grégoire Favre
http://magma.epfl.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:Gregoire.Favre@freesurf.ch

Home | Main Index | Thread Index