[linux-dvb] Bug in mpegtools

Matthias Schniedermeyer writes:
 > #Include <hallo.h>
 >

 > (I used the current CVS-Version of mpegtools)
 >
 > (IN = av_pes-Stream(s))
 > (-v 600 = tested with xmovie, NOT with "the hardware" (But i don't think
 >  that would change anything))
 >
 > Try 1:
 > av_pes2p(e)s < IN > OUT1	(I tested av_pes2pes and av_pes2ps)
 > mplex -v 600 -t MPEG2 -o out.mpg OUT1
 >
 > The stream is "too small" and Audio stops after some seconds. (xmovie
 > actually crashed)
 >
 > Try 2:
 > av_pes2ts < IN > OUT1
 > mplex -v 600 -t MPEG2 -i TS_STREAM -o out.mpg OUT1
 >
 > This one works flawlessly.
 >

 > Try 3:
 > pvademux IN
 > mplex -v 600 -t MPEG2 -i ES_STREAM -o out.mpg IN.mp2 IN.m2v
 >
 > This one works flawlessly.
 >

 > Conclusion: An incompatibility between av_pes2p(e)s and mplex. Strange is
 > that it works with av_pes2ts

This can very well be. I haven't looked at or changed the av_pes2xxx
programs for a while. The versions in the driver are more up to
date. I don't think I want to put too much work into that, because
av_pes is not a standard format and will soon vanish from the driver.
av_pes2ts was the one I did last, so that might work better.
I would like to stress once again, that TS is the natural format of
DVB and that the DVB API is mainly concerned with this format. So that
in the future we will mainly concentrate on programs that use TS
and/or transform other formats from/to TS. I might add that TS is also
the best format for streaming MPEG.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
mocm@netcologne.de                     http://www.metzlerbros.de