[linux-dvb] Bad news :-(

I think it is really bad that Dolby wants licence fees from everybody that
wants to decode AC3, but isn't reverse engeneering allowed in Europe?

I mean isn't this similar to the whole decss fiasco?

VideoLAN from France seems to include decss code without any legal problems
and since Alsa is developed mostly in Europe, thier ac3dec could continiue
developement without a problem?

( I don't work with AC3 (yet) and didn't look where the developer lives, but
even if that person lives in the US, maybe somebody in Europe could continue
developement?)

At least this way some of the damage might be controlled.

I seem to end every sentence with a question mark today ;-)

Marcus