[linux-dvb] Re: Hardware timer or controller for Power On/Off??

"Dr. Werner Fink" wrote:

> Hi,
>
>    does anyone have experience with something like a hardware
> timer (addon card or something else) which his able to control
> a mainboard with soft power off.
[...]

Does your motherboard (better the BIOS) support wake up on RTC?

There is a solution for these machines.
It is possible to set the time  of wake up from within linux. You need
kernel 2.4.6 or newer (or nvram.c must be patched).

A cat of "/dev/nvram" deliveres 114 bytes.
The following bytes are meaningfull for me and my BIOS (AWARD or so):

0x3f  seconds of wake up time
0x40  minutes of wake up time
0x41  hours of wake up time
0x4f  day of month

0x47  A0 wake up enabled
      80 wake up disabled

0x6e  error correction codes (Pruefsumme)

Writing to /dev/nvram sets the (wake up) time.

--
Frank