[linux-dvb] Re: Hardware timer or controller for Power On/Off??

Frank Klingenhoefer wrote:

 >It is possible to set the time  of wake up from within linux. You need
 >kernel 2.4.6 or newer (or nvram.c must be patched).
 >
 >A cat of "/dev/nvram" deliveres 114 bytes.
 >The following bytes are meaningfull for me and my BIOS (AWARD or so):
 >
 >0x3f  seconds of wake up time
 >0x40  minutes of wake up time
 >0x41  hours of wake up time
 >0x4f  day of month
 >
 >0x47  A0 wake up enabled
 >      80 wake up disabled
 >
 >0x6e  error correction codes (Pruefsumme)

must i calculate this ore is this done by the module?

I use a p5a asus board. It wakes up 2 minutes before the next timer starts.
I set the wake up time in the /dev/rtc, but set it in /dev/nvram is the
correct way i think. In rtc you can't set the seconds and day of month.

But there are problems  with rtc wake up on my boards:

With the p5a I need apm support in the kernel, or the motherboard can't
wake up after a linux shutdown. With apm support i can't use acpi to
shut down the computer with the power button.

With a biosstar board, the computer can't shut down, if i activate the
wake on rtc. Here too apm is the solution, but with the same problem.

Now I am searching for a shutdown indicator, so that i can shut down the
computer, if he only records a timer. He detects allready if he is
started by a rtc wake up event, but i am searching for a sensor that can
tell me if someone is watching TV, probably I can solve this with an ir
signal.

Hans-Hermann Redenius