[linux-dvb] Re: ˙so-8859-1?Q?[linux-dvb]_Re:_(No_subject) ˙so-8859-1?Q??˙SO-8859-1?Q?Patch_for_?˙external_video-Direcorys" _?_and_other_Question?

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:08:17PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> Carsten Koch wrote:
> >
> > Axel Gruber wrote:
> > > does anyone have made a patch for VDR to use aditional "external directorys" ?
> > >
> > > At all VDR-Versions VDR scan´s only /video0 for Recordings.
> > >
> > > I would like to use a second Directory from a other VDR-SYSTEM mountet via NFS...
> >
> > I had the same problem and I solved it using symbolic links.
> > Simply link the recordings subdirectories of your additional
> > mounts into your /video directory.
> >
> > Carsten.
>
> That's a great idea!
> And the easiest and cleanest solution, too!
> VDR will currently show all recordings in one big list, but there
> will soon be a hierarchical Recordings menu, so I guess this will be
> _the_ solution for Axel's request.

The "cleanest" solution is to use "correct(tm)" mount-points

/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /video/video1 type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sdc1 on /video/video2 type ext2 (rw)

And BTW. Hierarchical STORAGE is MORE important than a Hierarchical Recordings menu (You should at least have an option "hierachical Storages yes/no")

With Hierarchical Storage i could crossmount the Recording-Dirs from dvb & dvb2. dvb2 has only 25GB of disc-Space. dvb has 80GB. When dvb2(/dvb) runs out
of disc space (never happend (knocking on wood)) thats it. If i could crossmount the dirs from dvb(/dvb2), dvb2(/dvb) could record over network onto
dvb(/dvb2) when local dirs are full. Currently thats impossibel because VDR chosses the dir with most free space and would permanently record over network
onto dvb(/dvb2).

IIRC i suggested that about a year ago.

Bis denn