[linux-dvb] Re: another patch for remote control with rev 2.1

Marc Jadoul writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > First excuse me if it is not totally related...
 > I agree with you that it would be nice if we can use the builtin receiver
 > with LIRC.
 >
 > Now what i do not understand is how that work: How LIRC receive the event,
 > if the card already decoded it? Would it work with an other remote or does
 > it work only with the remote coming with the card? Could i use an universal
 > remote, and receive other event than the one existing in the furnished
 > remote?

The AV7110 can only decode one kind of infra-red encoding at the
same time. Currently I only support RC-5.

 > I need a universal remote because i want to use a motorized antena... and it
 > seems that there aren't any DVB card that could do DISECQ 1.2... is that
 > right ? Are the APIs forseeing DISECQ 1.2 ?

You can send arbitrary DiSEqC commands. What more do you need for
DiSEqC 1.2? AFAIK, a back-channel is only specified for DISECQ 2.0.

AFAIR, somebody also already wrote applications for DiSEqc rotors.

 > One other thing is that i do not understand why you would add the LIRC
 > driver's code inside the dvb driver instead of adding a new module to the
 > LIRC code (like for the other TV card if i understand) ?

Because the infra-red events don't come from the I2C bus or the GPIO
port as on those other cards. There is no way you could hack the
DEBI DMA needed on the DVB card into another driver and still have
everything else work.

Ralph