[linux-dvb] Re: Integration of Powersave in VDR

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 06:46:50PM +0200, Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

> Therefore I suggest that everybody who wants to power off their VDR machine
> provides a program (binary, shell script, Perl script or whatever), which can
> be called by VDR with exactly one paramter, namely the time (in UTC) when the
> next timer event will take place (that will be the exact starting time of the
> timer, so if the system needs additional time to power up, the program should
> subtract that time). The time will be given as the number of seconds since the
> epoch (i.e. "time_t" type). The program shall take whatever measures are necessary
> to make sure the machine will restart at the given time, and shall also initiate
> the shutdown sequence. In order for VDR to exit gracefully, the program shall
> return after initiating the shutdown procedure, and its exit value shall be
> '0' if it was successful, '1' if there was an error (and the shutdown will not
> take place).

Maybe you can also provide a relative timecode "seconds until restart",
additionally to the absolute time UTC? Should make things easier if you have
an external count down timer that did not know the actual UTC (well of
course the script can calculate it by itself, but shell scripts cannot
calculate well and then there are often irritations with the different
times, local time, MESZ MES, and the problems if MEZ changes to MESZ....
;->
        Matthias