[linux-dvb] Re: Integration of Powersave in VDR

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Reiner Rosin wrote:

> I agree with you that vdr should call an external program, script or
> whatever with two parameters (next timer relative and next timer
> absolute), this could be introduced to vdr via a commandline option.
> So if this is present to vdr, there could be a new menu-option in
> vdr called "Exit" or "Off" (also via temote-telnet-control).

that is what Klas called `intentionally shutdown the machine NOW' menu
item

> When
> selecting this item vdr only calls the external program, nothing else
> (the program will have to decide what to do; perhaps there should be
> some ui-info like "shutdown allowed | not allowed").

yes

> And for the automatic shutdown after a recording vdr could use
> user-input per session as parameter to decide whether to call the
> program after a recording or not. So you just have to integrate only one
> new setup parameter (delay in minutes, after the program is called
> by vdr after a recording ended; if 0 the program will never be called
> after a recording ended). So it's possible to use the shutdown-option
> without having the possibilty to automatically power on the vdr machine.

you can use the feature without having the possibilty to automatically
power on the vdr machine. just use
vdr --shutdown=<path to a script which just contains one line: `shutdown -h'>

in this case the called external program (this script) would just shutdown
the machine (without doing anything to setup the next power on time)

But I agree that setting MinUserInactivity to 0 should disable the
_automatical_ power off feature instead of setting it to 0 minutes after
last user activity. (you still will be able to shutdown manually, povided
that you specified the --shutdown option)

c ya
        Sergei

         eMail:       Sergei.Haller@math.uni-giessen.de
                -- Mark Twain