[linux-dvb] Re: @klaus: idea for a new simple menu feature in vdr:

Carsten.Koch@icem.de(Carsten Koch)  06.09.01 12:59

Once upon a time Carsten Koch shaped the electrons to say...

>Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>> What I'm thinking of is to maybe define several new keys, which lead
>> directly to a given menu. For instance a "Channels"-button, a
>> "Recordings"-button, a "Timers"-button and so on. No matter where
>> you are in the menu structure, pressing one of these buttons would
>> lead you directly to that menu.

>Under certain circumstances you need to define only
>ONE new key for this: Many programmable remote controls
>provide macro functions that allow you to put more
>than one command on one key. Onfortunately, with
>vdr's current context-dependent menu system, this
>would not work reliably. For example, there is no
>key sequence that I can enter which will ALWAYS
>take me into the "Channels" menu.

This can be done with an "escape"-key.
A macro sequence would always start with "Escape-take me back
to top menue (meaning on VDR: "No Menu") if i'm not there"
So the context senisitivity is not such a great problem any more, or?

Or the "back" key pressed 5 times(or so did not count how
deep VDR's menu struture is)
leds always to the top "menu": The normal TV screen.

>But, if you define ONE new button that takes me
>into the main menu, no matter what the current
>context is, great new things would become possible.

The open question is:
What is the "main menu" or "top menu"?
But that does not really matter as long there is
one fixed key for one fixed menu.