[linux-dvb] Re: @klaus: idea for a new simple menu feature in vdr:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> What I'm thinking of is to maybe define several new keys, which lead directly
> to a given menu. For instance a "Channels"-button, a "Recordings"-button,
> a "Timers"-button and so on. No matter where you are in the menu structure,
> pressing one of these buttons would lead you directly to that menu.

Under certain circumstances you need to define only
ONE new key for this: Many programmable remote controls
provide macro functions that allow you to put more
than one command on one key. Onfortunately, with
vdr's current context-dependent menu system, this
would not work reliably. For example, there is no
key sequence that I can enter which will ALWAYS
take me into the "Channels" menu.

But, if you define ONE new button that takes me
into the main menu, no matter what the current
context is, great new things would become possible.

Even without a programmable remote control this
button would be very useful.

I can train my fingers to do many things without
disturbing the brain too much. ;-)

So, even if under some circumstances it would
require less than two key presses to get into the
Channels menu, it will feel much easier to just
press "Main"-"2" all the time to get there, once
you have tought your fingers to automatically do
"Main"-"2" when the brain wants the Channels menu.

The third area where this idea would be very useful
is the HITK SVDRP command. Right now, you cannot
really use HITK for a lot of useful things, because
hitting a certain key sequence means different things
under different circumstances. With the "Main" key,
HITK would suddenly become useful for almost anything.

What do you think?
Is this a useful idea?

Carsten.