[linux-dvb] Re: VDR and console

I'm afraid the question IS stupid:-)

The DVB-S card outputs primary MPEG-2.
Secondary there is the OSD.
It would be a litte hard to encode your terminal session in MPEG-2, so there
stays the OSD.

It might be possible to produce a tty- like session with the OSD, but afaik
there are no plans to do so. And if you have a driver problem (or even vdr)
your terminal will be unreachable)
So for now use a network. SSH/telnet works great.
Alternativ you can buy a graphics card with TV out
(My cheep ATI does fine, but must be connected separatly to the TV-set)

I would suggest a network if you can afford it and can drill the neccessary
holes. Go for the 100MBit one. It really rocks!

Alexander Wetzel