[linux-dvb] Re: VDR and console

Alexander,

On Sun, 16 Sep 2001 12:39:55 +0200, Alexander Wetzel wrote:

>I'm afraid the question IS stupid:-)
I agree! ;-)

>The DVB-S card outputs primary MPEG-2.
>Secondary there is the OSD.
>It would be a litte hard to encode your terminal session in MPEG-2, so there
>stays the OSD.

>It might be possible to produce a tty- like session with the OSD, but afaik
>there are no plans to do so. And if you have a driver problem (or even vdr)
>your terminal will be unreachable)
It's not due to a driver problem - if I do have a driver problem (the system
locks up) I just press the power off for about 4 seconds ... Thanks to the
ReiserFS reboot is just a few seconds away - no problem!

>So for now use a network. SSH/telnet works great.
>Alternativ you can buy a graphics card with TV out
>(My cheep ATI does fine, but must be connected separatly to the TV-set)
>
>I would suggest a network if you can afford it and can drill the neccessary
>holes. Go for the 100MBit one. It really rocks!
You're right. A cheap network card cost about EUR 15,-. But my problem is: I
have no possibility to make a cable connection through my whole flat (about
15m with all corners ...). And putting it into the walls isn't possible, too.
So I have to carry a monitor every given sunday/ monday into my living room
and it's quite a bit of work to connect the monitor to the VDR... :-(

What I do then on the monitor is just compiling in the new drivers, VDR and
make some adjustments - that's all. Sadly I do not have a notebook - otherwise
it would be much easier, I know.
That was the cause for my idea with the console routed through the DVB-S card

Thanks to all for answering quickly,

regards,
Jens

j.a.m. GmbH
Computer, Systemberatung, Webhosting, Softwareentwicklung
Eschersheimer Landstraße 471
60431 Frankfurt am Main
fon (069) 46 09 88 - 13
fax (069) 46 09 88 - 78