[linux-dvb] Re: dvb Patch Firmware Directory

Deti Fliegl writes:
 > Ralph Metzler wrote:
 > >
 > > Deti Fliegl writes:
 > >  > it took a while to analyze some problems with the DVB driver. An now
 > >  > here a patch that fixes the following stuff:
 > >  >
 > >  > - the arm_mon kernel thread is now detached from the user space insmod
 > >  > process (which caused maybe some problems)
 > >
 > > Which problems did it cause?
 > I think it's one of the problems which caused my machine to hang after a
 > while but I am not sure. It seems that there is a problem when the user
 > mode process insmod exits with a kernel thread still running.

OK, this could be a problem if the driver tries to reload the firmware
from the local directory of the insmod process.
Reloading from /lib/DVB always seems to work, also with the
daemonize() call enabled and the insmod parent process exited.
I only need reloading from local directories for testing new firmwares.
For me it would be enough to just make the daemonize() call optional
for debugging.
Most users will load the firmware from /lib/DVB anyway.

 > >  > - firmware does not have to be placed in the current working directory
 > >  > any longer. Therefor the module parameter 'arm_firmware_dir' can be used
 > >  > to set any directory wherein the files Root and Dpram reside.
 > >
 > > You already can choose this at compile time. The firmware will normally
 > > be loaded from /lib/DVB if not found in the current directory.
 > > Do we really need a parameter for everything?
 > Yes, it's necessary.

I am only asking because just last week you complained the driver
is getting too big!
Now I see that you even copy one or two screens full of kernel code
into it?

You could of course ask for the sys_getcwd() call to be exported by the
kernel. (But don't ask Alan Cox. He'll probably tell you, firmwares
should be loaded through driver calls anyway :-))

Ralph