[linux-dvb] Re: dvb Patch Firmware Directory

Ralph Metzler wrote:

> Deti Fliegl writes:
>  > Ralph Metzler wrote:
>  > >
>  > > Deti Fliegl writes:
>  > >  > it took a while to analyze some problems with the DVB driver. An now
>  > >  > here a patch that fixes the following stuff:
>  > >  >
>  > >  > - the arm_mon kernel thread is now detached from the user space insmod
>  > >  > process (which caused maybe some problems)
>  > >
>  > > Which problems did it cause?
>  > I think it's one of the problems which caused my machine to hang after a
>  > while but I am not sure. It seems that there is a problem when the user
>  > mode process insmod exits with a kernel thread still running.
>
> OK, this could be a problem if the driver tries to reload the firmware
> from the local directory of the insmod process.
> Reloading from /lib/DVB always seems to work, also with the
> daemonize() call enabled and the insmod parent process exited.
> I only need reloading from local directories for testing new firmwares.
> For me it would be enough to just make the daemonize() call optional
> for debugging.
> Most users will load the firmware from /lib/DVB anyway.
Well we can even decide to put the firmware to the fixed place /lib/DVB.
Your brother's idea was to be able reading it from the cwd. It was not
mine - I was just reimplementing this feature to keep backward
compatibility (since daemonize() detaches a thread from the file_struct
etc. the cwd gets lost).

> I am only asking because just last week you complained the driver
> is getting too big!
> Now I see that you even copy one or two screens full of kernel code
> into it?
Well I don't need the get_cwd facility but for testing different
firmware versions a module parameter would be helpful.

> You could of course ask for the sys_getcwd() call to be exported by the
> kernel. (But don't ask Alan Cox. He'll probably tell you, firmwares
> should be loaded through driver calls anyway :-))
No this would not lead to success as we've already had the same
discussions with our DAB driver (it includes the firmware from a .h file
which is about 100kByte and part of the kernel tree - convenient but no
good concept too.)

Best would be having a standardized firmware loader daemon in user space
:)

Regards,

Deti