[linux-dvb] Re: TechnoTrend PCI DVB-C 2.1 success

Hello list,

I got my system working! Both cards (nova, full-featured). And VDR as
well. The downside is, I don't know what I did differently from sunday :(
I'm using a snapshot driver from last week and VDR 0.99pre1. VDR has been
patched to use QAM_128 instead of QAM_64. The driver has been patched to
support the TT card tuner chip. I also increased the waiting time that
Ralph mentions below from HZ/2 to HZ*2. I did not disable zigzagging like
Kenneth did (actually I had zigzagging disabled earlier, maybe that's
it...). I have not tried any other values besides HZ*2. I think I'll try
that today in order to find an optimal number.

A short recap: In the beginning the firmware did not load. I swapped card
slots. recompiled the driver a couple of times and played with the debug
options after which the firmware was loaded successfully IIRC. I think it
was related to the slots/IRQs. Then came the tuner patch from Joachim, but
my cards would not tune. After that Kenneth posted his results from
disabling the zigzagging. Now it looked like my card would in deed tune to
a frequncy: FE_READ_STATUS returned all the right bits, FE_HAS_LOCK etc.
The only problem was that there was no image on composite out. That was
fixed yesterday. I tried different driver versions (the two drivers from
Klaus' page and the snapshot that I had from last week). I had compilation
problems with the September snapshot from Klaus' page (EXPORT_PARM())
which are probably related to my kernel update (2.4.16). I switched back
to the Januare snapshot I had and suddenly things started working!

Some problems though: while using VDR, the cards stopped tuning at some
point. VDR switched the channel and showed the OSD entry about the current
programme, but the was no picture. I restarted VDR and things worked
again. I also managed to crash VDR at least oncu by using REMOTE=KBD and
DEBUG_OSD=1 and then hitting the MENU key repeatedly (I got frustrated
since the thing did not respond ;).

Another problem is that the cards do not seem to tune to frequencies like
146, 154, 162, 170MHz. These are valid frequencies for my cable provider
(I got the numbers from the cable provider), but the card does not tune to
those freqs. It did not work under Windows either. So I'm wondering
whether its a bug in the card; it cannot tune so low. Or if my cable
provider has a lousy signal level.

Any how, thanks for all your help!

BR, Lauri