[linux-dvb] Re: What's the minor-shift (if there is one set)?

At 14:33 07/03/02 +0100, you wrote:
>John Williams writes:
>  > >I'll probably change to devfs only in the NEWSTRUCT branch.
>  > >So, who does not use devfs yet?
>  > >
>  > >
>  > >Ralph
>  >
>  > I don't.
>  >
>  > You only use 10 devices per card, and you've got 255 numbers to number
> them
>  > with, so why is there a problem with anything less then 25 cards? Surely
>  > you just need to renumber your devices, and then you won't upset those
>  > people who haven't got devfs installed, and you won't have to handle all
>  > the support questions that it will generate.
>

>As I said, there is other hardware out there which requires a lot
>more than 10 devices.
>

>Ralph

Surely this other hardware couldn't use the published API, as it makes no
provision for these other devices? So wouldn't you need a different API for
this other hardware anyway, even if someone wrote some drivers for it? Or
am I being stupid and missing something (as usual)?

I'm sure devfs is the way to go in the future, but until it becomes the
default on most Linux installations, getting it to work will remain a pain.

John
The information contained in this e-mail is intended only for the person
or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, the use of this information or any disclosure, copying or
distribution is prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the
material from any computer.
The views expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be the views of
The PCMS Group plc and should not be taken as authority to carry out any
instruction contained.