[linux-dvb] Re: What's the minor-shift (if there is one set)?

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 09:23:17PM -0800, Aurelian Pop wrote:
> I tried using devfs, it is installed, devfsd up and running.
> I have changed makedev.napi like this:
>
> rm -rf /dev/dvb
> mkdir /dev/dvb
> chmod 755 /dev/dvb
>
> mkdir /dev/dvb/card0
> chmod 755 /dev/dvb/card0
> mknod -m 0666 /dev/dvb/card0/video0    c 250   0
> Since in devfs the major/minor numbers are not used, how
> should the mknod commands look like? It somehow has no sense
> specifying them, but on the other hand mknod requires that
> parameter (because using c type devices)...  Is mknod
> supposed to be used to create the devfiles??

The whole idea of devfs is that you *do not* use
mknod to create device nodes. They are created
automatically when the drivers are loaded.

The purpose of devfsd is only to create legacy
device name links or set permissions/ownership
of device nodes.

HTH,
Johannes