[linux-dvb] Re: BCS_CTRL and picture sharpness

Hi!

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
> It seems that the BCS does nothing. Please can anyone of the
> developers say how to change brightness/contrast/saturation
> and picture sharpness?

When I change BCS controls in xawtv, gVideo,..., while these programs
are working in overlay mode, the visible effect is as expected. It is
performed by the V4L VIDIOCSPICT ioctl call.
Of course, it effects only the video data handled by the SAA7146 - it does
not effect video streams coming directly from the ARM processor.

Whereas changes of brightness/contrast/saturation are quite simple, a
change of sharpness is a rather complex image manipulating function. It is
not featured by the SAA7146. Brooktree/Conexant's 8x8 chips and probably
other comparable chips also don't offer it. The V4L API has no ioctl call
for image sharpness.

Bye,
     Rolf